Prayer Shawl Ministry
The Prayer Shawl Ministry members knit or crochet shawls that are given to persons who are ill, have suffered a loss, or are in the midst of a life crisis. The group currently meets at the church to work on shawls and pray for the recipients of their work. Check the schedule for the next date. You can join our Prayer Shawl Ministry by getting involved in making shawls with us or by requesting a shawl for a friend or loved one you know that is in need. If you wish to make a donation either for yarn or postage, we welcome your contribution.
Prayer Shawl Blessings
Loving God, as I create this shawl, may it be woven with love and compassion for __________ in her/his time of need. May it be a sign of hope and caring from our family of faith. Amen.
God of grace and God of glory, you alone know what ______ and his/her family need at this time. Surround them with your loving peace that they might find solace and comfort in you. Amen.
God of love, surround ________ with your tender mercy in this time of struggle and sorrow May this shawl be a source of comfort and the warmth of your love in the days ahead Amen.
Loving God, as I work to create this shawl, may it become a sign of your love and concern as _________ faces treatment in the days ahead. Amen.
God, we know that you are with us in the midst of the toils and struggles of our lives. May this shawl be a sign of that presence and a source of tender hope and peace for ______ in this time of need Amen.
As I create this shawl, may you guide my hands and my thoughts. I pray for _______ in her/his time of need, trusting that this gift will be a reminder to him/her of your love and concern which surrounds us all our days. Amen.
Loving God, may the rhythm of the rows and stitches all tied together be a sign to _______ of the tie that binds us all together - that of your love and mercy. Amen.
Directions for Making a Prayer Shawl
You will need three skeins of Lion Brand Homespun yarn for either knit or crocheted shawls. This brand of yarn is suggested because of its soft texture and colors. The yarn is available at Wal-Mart, Michael's or JoAnn's Craft stores. If you have a local quilt or knit shop in your area contact them and perhaps it can be ordered locally. (Note: If you have yarn at home you would like to use, that's okay too.)
- Use size 13 needles.
- These needles provide a loose weave and make the project go fast.
- Begin by casting on 57 stitches.
- Knit 3, purl 3, to the end of the row.
- Turn, and repeat the pattern.
- Each row will begin
- Cast on 60 stitches and just knit the entire 3 skeins.
- Before you begin your third skein, set aside the yarn you will need for making the fringe for both ends of the shawl. Then, knit until you finish the yarn.
Attach fringe to shawl.
- The fringe is made by cutting 130 lengths of yarn about 8 inches long. Hold two together and fold in half. This creates four ends. Pull through and knot.
- Use a 10 mm hook.
- Ch 53. Turn. SC for 3 rows. Turn.
- In the second sc from hook, *do 3 dc, sk 1st; sc in next st, sk 1 stitch; in next stitch, rep from* for width of shawl.
- Ch 2. Turn. (you should have 13 dc shells across.) Note that the 3 dc shells are done in the center of the dc group in the row below.
- Repeat this row until shawl is the desired length. End with 3 rows of sc.
A Gift of Love
There is really no right or wrong way to create these gifts of love and caring.
The shawls do not all have to be alike. When you finish a shawl, it will be blessed and given to someone to whom it will become a very meaningful gift. If you are knitting with a recipient in mind, that will be extra special. There is no time limit to finish your shawl. Finished shawls may be brought to our Prayer Group meetings. For more information, contact the office.