Pub Theology tonight at 7pm on Zoom
From the Desk of Reverend Luz Montes:
Thank you all for a wonderful conversation last month! Hope you can join again tonight. This month’s meeting will be over Zoom.
Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81979620716
THIS WEEK: Age, starting over, NRA Jesus, and the purpose of religion
- If you didn’t know your age, how old would you think you’d be?
- If you restart your life from scratch, would you end up in the same place?
- Bumper sticker seen in South Carolina: “If Jesus had a gun, he’d still be alive today.” Discuss.
- Karen Armstrong has pointed out that all the major religions of the period between 800 and 200 BCE, known as the “Axial Age” shared the same sense of purpose of existence: “Reciprocity, compassion, love, and altruism, the Golden Rule, ending suffering for all human beings.” If this is so, why does religion get such a bad rap? Where does it go wrong?
- In Matthew 12:50, Jesus says, “For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” What are the ramifications of this saying?